About the Programme
The Innovation Partnership for Rural Development programme is an initiative of the Department of Science and Technologyaimed at value addition to the targeted 23 District Municipalities in responding to some of their prioritised needs. The Programme will be implemented over a period of two (2) years with a total budget of R143, 5million. The bulk of the budget available for the initiative will be targeted at support between 8-15 technology demonstrators within selected districts the diverse and extensive needs for social and economic infrastructure within the targeted 23 District Municipalities. This will be complemented by a set of knowledge, learning, and communication interventions that will be targeted to all 23 District Municipalities and support capacity building for technology and innovation management. The objectives of the Programme are:-
1. To demonstrate, pilot and evaluate the suitability of a selection of potential technology-based options for delivering essential social and economic infrastructure in the priority rural District Municipalities.
2. To contribute to the generation of practical knowledge and evidence (in the form of policy briefs, technical briefs, decision-support systems, and learning interventions) that can be used to build the capacity of rural municipalities and stakeholders to manage science, technology and innovation.
3. To build a stronger two-way partnership between rural communities and knowledge and technology partners within the National System of Innovation to facilitate both technology transfer as well as to influence the work and priorities of knowledge and technology partners.
4. Finally, to support the development of a more enabling policy environment that facilitates the diffusion of good practices as well as the scaling-up of successful pilots and demonstrators.
Funding is aimed at value addition to the targeted 23 District Municipalities in responding to some of their prioritized needs, taking into account the limited resources available and extensive needs for social and economic infrastructure within the targeted District Municipalities. The funding will prioritise the support of 8-15 technology demonstrators within the selected districts which falls within the following target Clusters:-
1. Water (with a focus on both access to water as well as water quality)
3. Housing and human settlements development
4. Access to electricity and energy
5. ICT and communication services
6. Ecological or green infrastructure
Please click here to download the guidelines
Please click here to download the funding application template (Service Providers)
Please click here to download the GBS funding application template (Municipalities)
Please select a presentation to download below: