PROGRAMME 1A: INSTITUTIONAL PLANNING AND SUPPORT
The Programme is geared towards supporting the high-level policy prioritisation of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) through the following:
1. The Ministry and Office of the Director-General support the political and executive leadership in order to lead and coordinate the activities within the Department and its entities. This is to achieve greater impact, cohesion and efficiency within the National System of Innovation (NSI), and to steer the system towards the development of a knowledge-intensive economy with higher productivity levels, coordinating the implementation of the National Research and Development Strategy (NRDS) and the Ten-Year Innovation Plan (TYIP) in line with the Medium Term Expenditure Framework.
2. Enterprise Risk Management ensures that a risk management culture is embedded in the Department by creating risk management awareness, and elevating risk management to a strategic level within the Department in order to improve the DST's risk maturity level. The directorate's secondary roles are to make fraud prevention an integral part of strategy, operations and administration in the Department, and to ensure that the Department has an effective business continuity management programme to build organisational resilience and safeguard the interests of stakeholders, reputation, brand and value-creating activities.
3. Policy, Planning, Governance, Monitoring and Evaluation supports the DST leadership in steering the NSI, through the following:
4. Internal Audit Activity (IAA) performs internal appraisal activities to provide assurance on the Department's governance, risk management, and control processes to help the Department achieve its strategic, operational, financial and compliance objectives. Internal auditing is also a catalyst for improving the Department's effectiveness and efficiency by providing insight and recommendations based on analyses and assessment of data and business processes. The IAA supports the executive and political leadership in developing and maintaining processes, procedures and systems that enhance good corporate governance, strong internal controls and risk management, through the implementation of a flexible risk-based audit plan.
5. Science Communication is responsible for ensuring effective communication between the Department and its key stakeholders, and creating awareness of the Department's key objectives and activities. The chief directorate raises the profile of the work done by the Programmes in line with the vision and mission of the Department. It facilitates the preparation of information that the Minister and the Deputy Minister communicate externally. Its overall focus is to brand the Department and create awareness about the developments, benefits and opportunities within publicly funded science and technology initiatives across the country's science system. In addition, this chief directorate ensures that information to the public is accessible.
PROGRAMME 1B: CORPORATE SERVICES
The Programme is responsible for the overall management of the Department and providing centralised strategic and administrative support, and an essential strategic partner in the Department's governance, administration and programme delivery.
1. Finance ensures effective, efficient and economic utilisation of financial resources in line with financial prescripts through the development and implementation of financial systems, policies, frameworks and procedures.
2. Human Resources helps the Department to –
3. Legal Services is responsible for providing legal services to the Department in order to ensure that the interests of the Department are protected against any legal risk. The chief directorate further provides leadership on all legal matters by having an effective approach to resolving matters that have the potential to give rise to conflict or legal challenges.
4. Information Systems and Knowledge Management is responsible for –
5. Auxiliary Services, which includes Security Services and Facilities Management, is responsible for the maintenance of the Department's premises and security within these premises.